Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Physical Exam...

Today I went to the Dr to get a physical. It's been probably 4 years since I went, so I thought it was about time. Especially as I just turned 40. Time to get another baseline measurement, really. I stopped going after I had a few bad cholesterol readings and I didn't want to end up being forced to take medication for it. Silly really, when you think about it.

Well, the good news is that my carido-vascular system looks and sounds fine. Not really surprising with the amount of cardio exercise that I do. My cholesterol level is just awesome right now, so I needn't have been worried about that. However, he had a couple of comments about some of the tests. Apparently my blood glucose level is higher than expected. Even though it's not necessarily out of range, it could be a sign of impending diabetes, so we're going to retest it in about 6 weeks.

In addition to the glucose issue, there are signs of elevated Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, so we're going to retest that too. It's quite a way above the normal range and he wants to make sure that I'm not on my way to a failed Thyroid for any reason. Even though the thyroid palpates fine, so there's no swelling or inflamation that would suggest an abnormality, and usually thyroid issues are accompanied by high cholesterol levels, which I don't have.

Bottom line is that I'm scheduled for a follow up visit in 6 weeks to have these items reviewed.

On a lighter note, I didn't have to cough and I didn't have to bend over. ;-) I expected both of those with the "I'm 40 now" statement, but they didn't appear. Lucky me, eh? ;-)

No comments: