Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Today's Running...

I was hoping to be able to get out onto the Guadalupe Creek Trail at lunch today, but I had a meeting. As part of the MERT group at work, I like to attend as many of the training and information meetings as possible. Those tend to be at lunchtimes and conflict with my running. Today's presentation was from the American Red Cross about Disaster Preparedness.

Since I'm also a Ham Radio operator, this is a topic which interests me quite a lot, although I haven't implemented more than making sure my radio gear is ready for such occasions, wiht backup batteries and the like.

So, after an hour or more of lunchtime spent with that, I really couldn't afford to go for a long run. Then it also rained. Ugh! So, I hit the treadmill for a quick 5k. That'll have to do for today. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow and I can put in a nice 6 miles, or more.

I've got myself into a set of challenges using my iPod Nano and the Nike+ system. When you upload your run data from the iPod to the Nike+ website you get to see how you're doing against other people. I have a group of 4 friends who also have these devices and we're all trying to see who, within reason, can run the most miles each month. Well, I won January and February with about 150 miles each month. I'm on for that amount again this month, but the others are hot on my trail.

It wouldn't have been too bad, but last week I went for a run and my iPod battery ran down, so I only recorded 1 mile of the 6 miles that I ran. Ugh! At least my closest competition has also has some trouble. First he lost 6 miles because he lost the shoe sensor during a run, then he lost about another 5 miles because he put his new sensor upside down on his shoe and it didn't record correctly. Phew! I might still win this.

Of course, I think I'll have them all after this weekend, when I run a 50k. hahahaha! ;-)

3 comments:

Adelyn said...

Sounds like you made the right choice with the treadmill run today. I'm excited about this weekend, though I sure hope I'm feeling better by then. Don't worry about holding yourself back to stay with me during the race :) We definitely need to meet and chat, but I'll probably be pretty slow, considering how I was feeling today. The course definitely looks challenging as well. It'll be the hilliest thing I've tried to tackle so far. Hopefully the bit of hillwork I've done since my last trail race will help though. Do you taper before you do 50ks? or do you just see them as normal 'long runs'?

Adelyn said...

and you've been officially added to the 'blogs I like' list, so you'd better keep updating :)

RSD_Terry said...

Tapering is something I've not been able to come to terms with very well. I do try to give myself some sort of resting period, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not doing it as efficiently as I should.